Saturday, June 19, 2010

Thing #2 (corrected)

Ok, I hadn't realized I had skipped a very important link in this Thing. I just finished watching The Seven 1/2 Habits of Lifelong Learners and I really enjoyed it! I really like knowing that I am, indeed, a lifelong learner. I like continuing to learn about my job and ways in which to overcome some personal challenges that life has sent my way. I have to say that many of these habits already apply to my personal life. I am the parent of a child with autism and have had to become incredibly informed on the topic in the past 2 years. To keep this post short, I will say that habit #1, start with your end goal in mind, is one that greatly applies to me. I know exactly what I want for my son and that is what drives me each and everyday to do what it takes to get him there. Anywhere at all that I can learn more on the topic, I will take the time to learn. Habit #5, create your own toolbox, is also one that already applies to me. I have my own library of books on autism, web pages listed under favorites, newsletters I am a member of, and member of a support group for other parents.

I have to say that if I had to choose one habit that is difficult for me is habit #7, teach/mentor others....although this only applies to my role as a librarian. My principal has asked me to guide the teachers on some Renaissance concerns at our campus and to do a training to refresh some guidelines. Well, I'm going to be nervous about it all summer because I don't feel confident I can do that! (So I guess it's a combination of habits #4 and #7--have confidence, and teach others.)

I think I have to write a list of things I want to cover with my coworkers so that I can feel more confident when it's my turn to stand before them....wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment